Thursday, June 10

Always Kiss Me Goodnight

"In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,and do not give the devil a foothold."
~Ephesians 4:26-27 NIV

On our honeymoon, Adam and I decided to splurge  a little and bought ourselves two presents for our new apartment.  The first present was a mirror stand.  Very pretty and practical, we still have it and love it.  However, the second present we bought was a little bit more meaningful.   We bought a sign very similar to the one pictured below with the same phrase because it reminded us of that verse in Ephesians.   I know that this sign is everywhere now and you might be sick of seeing it, but I fell in love with the sentiment. 
That is after all, one of the highest goals I have for our marriage, to never go to sleep angry at the other person.   Unfortunately, that is not always the case.  There have been a few times that I have gone to sleep still angry over something Adam did or didn't do, and it really sucks.  Those are the worse nights.  We are both very stubborn people and it really shows when we argue.  Neither of us are necessarily quick to apologize.  Adam's temper tends to flare up and burn out while mine is slow burning.  As a result, he wants to talk it all over right away and fix it, while I want to go analyze why I'm really angry, cry about it, and then talk after I've figured out what I really want to say.  We don't fight very often, thank goodness, but every couple fights once in a while! If you don't, then I'm convinced that you must not ever talk to each other, because it's impossible to live with someone day in and day out and not encounter things that really annoy you!
 
But I am proud to say that there have only been one or two nights over the last three years that we have not managed to at least kiss and say "I love you" to each other before going to bed. (I'm not counting the times that we have been physically apart from each other) And sometimes despite the kiss I still go to bed feeling a little annoyed, but there is something magical about even the act of kissing your spouse that takes the edge off the anger.  It is almost impossible to be really really angry at someone that you've just kissed.  And there is also a certain safety to it. I know that no matter how angry we are with each other, there is still love and that is not going away.  And that is why this sign has hung in our bedroom in each of our three apartments, and will always be featured prominently in any future bedrooms!
 
Give me a kisse and to that kiss a score;
Then to that twenty, add a hundred more;
A thousand to that hundred; so kiss on,
To make that thousand up a million;
Treble that million, and when that is done,
Let's kiss afresh, as when we first begun.
     ~Robert Herrick


Oh, and these kisses never hurt either!  ;)



Love you Adam!

1 comment:

mle said...

That is so beautiful and absolutely true! Thanks for the reminder - I need a kick in the pants now & again! continued blessings!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swagbucks