Monday, May 10

The shirt that almost ruined my Mother's Day Weekend....

    I have been feeling a bit frumpy lately.  (Well actually since I had Emma, so 18 months ago) Well actually maybe since about six months into the pregnancy (so 21 months ago)!  My body does not look like it used to look.  It is decidedly more lumpy, stretch mark laden, and just larger in general.  I still have about 8 pounds to lose to get back to pre-baby weight.  But even if I lost all the weight, I still wouldn't look the same.  My rib cage is larger, my boobs will never be the same, and I have a lot more skin around the tummy area than I used to. Not to mention that my already wide hips are wider still.  Not to complain or anything...  I do also have the most beautiful, little girl in the whole stinking world to show for it. So I guess it was a fair trade. :)

   But anyway, on a typical stay at home mom day, I throw on jeans and a t-shirt.  Then I throw my hair up in a ponytail or messy bun type thing and am on my way to the playground or on a walk in an effort to tame my lower half and stomach back into that shape I never appreciated as much as I should when I had it. (seriously, I wish I could go back in time and tell that 22 year old girl just how hot she was!)  

Ok back to the present and the Frumpy, frumpy frumpy. It also doesn't help that most of my clothes were purchased (pre baby) in an effort to showcase my previously very flat tummy.  Now they just make me sad. I used to long for summer to come so I could shed the bulky sweaters and sweatshirts, lately I miss them.  So I decided that for Mother's Day I was going to buy a few shirts that were figure flattering and made me feel good about myself.  Yes people, I am that shallow.  Go ahead and comment about how it's what is inside that matters, but I know the power that a flattering shirt has over my self esteem and I'm going to choose to work with it instead of fighting it!  So the family is packed up and it's off to the mall.  Adam is going to take Emma to the mall playground she loves and I will shop in peace for a whole hour!

Did I mention the fragile self-esteem I was clinging to? Well, whatever self esteem I had was brutally murdered by this little number:


Gorgeous right? Super feminine and flattering!  I saw it on a rack on the way to the dressing room and fell in love with it.  I wanted this sucker, bad.  So I grabbed a few sizes and tried them on.  When I couldn't even get the small size over my shoulders I didn't panic, I just reached for the medium.  When however the medium one didn't even come close to buttoning and wouldn't fit over my boobs at all, I felt the tears coming.  But  I bravely swallowed them and calmly left that stupid store with it's stupidly small sizes and trendy clothing for people who clearly don't have any curves at all and will probably die alonewith their cats   way too perky sales people.  Then I went and found my husband and tried not to cry until he asked me what was wrong and was too nice to me and I lost it.  Tears streaming down my face... Perhaps not my proudest moment.

Fast forward to Mother's Day, (the next day) when I decided to try the whole mall thing again.  See?  I can be both forgiving and gracious.   I even decided to give the evil Forever XXI store a second chance.  And they redeemed themselves in a big way!   Turns out that shirt I was looking at, is actually a dress for little girls.  Who knew this store even had a little girls section???? There was no indication on the tag that it was supposed to be worn by pre-pubescent eight year olds.  There should have been a huge GIRL'S sign on the wall somewhere, right?  I looked, there wasn't.  Also who designs dresses for little girls with that many buttons on the front? Clearly they have never dressed a child in their life.

And that, dear friends, is the story of the shirt that almost ruined my otherwise lovely Mother's Day weekend.  Let this be a lesson to all of you to always know what section of the store you have stumbled into.  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mel,
I love your shirt story. If you had fit into it... well, that's wrong in so many ways.
This is one more reason why Mother's Day should be celebrated with flowers, chocolate and breakfast in bed.
:)
-Emily Shoe

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swagbucks